Our traditional recipes handed down across generations in a family had a unique and wonderful taste due to slow and time consuming processes , our grandmas would spend almost all day in the kitchens and take hours to create culinary delights using the essential kitchen tools of their times . We remember and crave for even now but which cannot be possibly re- created by use of our fast and time saving machines today .Part of the magic was in the expertise of the cook, the other part in the traditional pots and pans in which the food was cooked.
Even today cast iron skillets and tavas, bronze urlis, as well as pots, kadais and bottles made from clay are available , however with less time available at hand , our new generation wants to have instant results in cooking (like in all else of course)
Therefore the idea of this Blog post is to provide basic info on available cooking tools in today’s market , their benefits and uses , market info on where to buy and price range .
The ovens come in huge variety in the market today, and no you do not have to go out to the nearby market in the heat and buy one , its available online ! just click on what you like and voila ! then you have choice of paying on delivery or by card whichever you wish .
- The Microwave-
Everyone needs an easy way of cooking and time-saving method for any task so that they can divert to the other activities once they are finished with it. Women get bored with their kitchen work and long hours spent cooking and really enjoy the time saving and easy cooking in a microwave oven
The touch buttons help to set time according to recipes , It works this way- molecules present in the food vibrate faster and build up thermal energy.The time of heating is so short that the nutrients and vitamin -C are maintained in a microwave without being destroyed.
The microwave , however like all machines has advantages and disadvantages.
- First advantage of microwave is that its time-saving,convenient and maintains the nutrient and water composition of the food.
- Microwave oven heats food without burning, as we can set the time.
- Easy to use, as it is automatic.
- Defrosts any frozen food within no time.
- Cooks fast so the vitamins are preserved in the food.
- Ability to cook food with less oil allows us to prepare a low fat diet.
- Bake food without any mess.
- It cannot be used for deep frying or making chapatti.
- It is dangerous to health as the studies show that using microwave could cause cancer as it produces cancer causing agents.
- Radiation it emits is dangerous.
- Microwave retains the nutrients but the texture of food, color, and taste will change, compared to when its cooked on a stove.
- The water content decreases and food becomes dry and tasteless sometimes.
Price when buying online
You can find microwaves in many different capacilities like – 20 ltrs , 30 ltrs and so on
For a small nuclear family the suggested size maybe small 17 ltrs which at present starts at 3590 INR! you can check this offer here
and also another option
Click for Amazon link here
2. Oven Toaster Grill /OTG
Oven Toaster and Grill or OTG is well known kitchen appliance exclusively to bake, grill and toast.If you are person who loves to bake cakes or grill or even make that excellent toast for breakfast , then OTG is the appliance for you.
Here are the functions and uses of OTG-
- We can BAKE using an OTG.
- Cakes, Pizzas, tikkas etc all come out tasty and evenly cooked .
- Here we set some temperature and oven heats up to that temperature , we keep inside it our cake batter or meat and bake it /roast it .
- Grill function tikka or kebab crispier.
Disadvantage of OTG
- Uses electricity in order to function and takes time to make stuff like cakes , pizzas etc. That means that you will be paying for the electricity that the toaster uses and this could marginally increase the cost of your electricity bills
Buy an OTG online –
Bajaj – 1200 W , capability to cook , grill , bake , toast , very good price of 2809 INR(16 ltr)
Link to buy – here
Borosil – good looks , 1300 Watts Heating Element,6 Stage heating options priced at 4469 INR for 19 litres
Link to buy – here
Cookers are of different varieties- Pressure Cookers , Rice cookers and lately there is a smart new addition to cookers – The Clip on lid Pressure cooker
Source of Image – here
We all have Pressure cookers at home , we know that certain dishes like rajmah or mutton will take ages to cook if the pressure cooker was not used .
Advantages of cooking in a pressure cooker –
- Food items cooked in a pressure cooker get ready faster, using less liquid
- Foods that are pressure cooked retain more nutrition, color and flavour.
- Faster cooking results in significant energy savings and lower Electricity Bill.
- Keeps the kitchen cooler ,When cooking with regular stovetop pots and pans, the heat rises through the pan and travels upwards and heats up the kitchen but a pressure cooker keeps the heat and steam locked inside so that none of it escapes to heat up your kitchen. Reducing the amount of heat and steam results in a cooler kitchen.
- A pressure cooker has a secured lid that prevents any splashes from escaping the cooking vessel. This also does not allow boil overs which require further cleanup. after cooking, there’s only one pot to wash.
Prices of a Pressure cooker in market at present –
A small family would be happy with a 5 ltr capacity cooker so lets see what is available
- Prestige is always trusted brand in Pressure cookers , this one below is available at 2619 INR at present ! Lets see what are the good features of this cooker –
Its a Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker made of high quality stainless steel, makes your kitchen look asthetic , its features include euroclad base with induction bottom for even distribution of heat, and the unique pressure indicator for extra safety, it also has handles with double screws for sturdy grip and durablity
You can buy this – here
Lets see another one –Hawkins is another well known brand for cookers
this one is 2975 INR its special features are-
Its ceramic-coated hawkins contura pressure cooker has german, high-quality, non-toxic ceramic coating only on the exterior and the base of the body, Its base heats quickly, it is scratch and stain-resistant, easy to clean and stays looking new for years
This is available – here
Gas Stoves and Induction Stoves
A Gas stove uses liquefied petroleum gas or other flammable gas as a source of fuel. In old times the stoves or chulhas as they were called relied on solid fuel such as coal or wood. Gas stoves were developed in the 1820s. The advantage of a Gas Stove is that it is adjustable and can be turned off and on with ease and needs less labour to use or turn off and on .
In Induction Cooking a cooking vessel gets heated by magnetic induction,inductive heating directly heats the vessel and very rapidly increases the temperature .In an induction Stove , a coil of copper wire is placed under the cooking pot and an alternating electric current is passed through it this results in the induction of the magnetic flux by the oscillating magnetic field, this produces Eddy Currents in the pot and heats it .
Image source – here
Gas Stove VS Induction stove
- Gas stove works without electricity so its a major advantage where there are power cuts ,however getting a LPG gas connection is a bit of paperwork and providing ID cards , which is a hassle we dont find in Induction stove – just get it and use it !
- Any type of cookware can be used on a Gas Stove , while on a Induction stove only specific cookwares made for induction stoves can be used , a cooking vessel must be made of, or contain, a ferromagnetic metal such as cast iron or some stainless steels. However,other metals can be used if placed on a ferromagnetic disk .
- Keeps the kitchen cool This is because induction stoves only heat the cookware you’re using and nothing else. Less risk of burning yourself or setting something on fire!
- Induction stove is much safer than gas stove . An Induction Stove has many user friendly features it can automatically power off the moment the pan leaves the surface. Some of them are even cool to the touch within seconds. some have timers and child safety systems
So to conclude this comparison , we can say that its best to have both in the house – the gas stove and the induction stove .
Pricing of available products at this time
1 – Prestige – is a well known brand in Gas stoves , this is one of their glass top Gas stoves
Very good to look at and available in 2, 3 ,4 burner options this one is about 5000 INR at present you can check it out here
2. This is a much liked Induction stove in market , however there are many options , most will be around 2000 INR you can buy it here
POTS AND PANS
Saute Pan- this pan can be used for boiling noodles , rice , making Biryani and curries , also dry vegetables .
This is a non stick saute pan with lid ,non stick pans are good for a quick clean up , the lid keeps the food within and locks the heat in too , therefor cooking is easier – you can buy it in around 1000 to 2000 INR – here
Wok is used for Stir-Frying, Steaming, Deep-Frying and Re-heating
A Wok can be bought for INR 1-2000 from here
A Tawa or a flat skillet is necessary item Indian Kitchen. Roti is made daily across all households in India , Rotis and parathas as well as Dosas are cooked on a tawa .
You can find it mostly under 1000 INR here
4. Tadka Pan
In India we season our Raitas and curds, Dals and Dhoklas and for that we need a tadka pan . Tadka is a technique of cooking to bring the flavours of spices and aromas of onion and garlic into the food with use of less oil .
Tadka pan is available under 500 INR here
5. Food processor –
A very important addition to the kitchen always – It has attachments for grinding both wet and dry spices, it has a liquidizer for making smoothies and shakes , It can be used to make wet masala pastes and pureé ingredients like onions and tomatoes for gravies.You can also knead doughs , whisk perfect whites for cakes and omelettes, cut fries the perfect size … many many tasks which take ages can be done using a food processor in a jiffy !
There are many varities in market with many functions , just chose what suits your needs and your pocket too , a well known one is about 5-6000 INR and is available here
6. Mortar and Pestle set
This is used rough/coarse grinding of fresh herbs and whole spices.Very useful for some indian dishes . its available in wood , marble and steel mostly , however i would prefer steel , easier to maintain .
you can find more options and also get this set online here
7. Chopping Boards
These are available in various materials like plastic and wood , i believe wooden one is better Plastic cutting boards are easier to sanitize. But cutting on them also leaves lots of cuts where bacteria can hide. Wood is tougher to sanitize, but you wont find as many deep scratches in the surface.
A good chopping board can be found under 500 INR
This and various other options can be bought here
8. Sharp knives
Basically two diferent knives are needed for cutting both meat and vegetables, however if you check in market there are so many variations for fruits , vegetable and so on.
One can always buy a set like this
Either that or choose different knives for different items , as per your needs
the knife set can be purchased here
Though there is a grater attachment in a processor sometimes , but when the power is off or in a hurry , the grater comes in handy , it also comes in various sizes
This can be found for under a 100 INR – here
10. Mixing bowl
These are available in Glass (Borosil) and Plastic , Aluminium and Steel also wooden , they are used for making dough for different kinds of bread, mixing batters for cakes and other raw mixes .
This is a much liked item and useful too while being cost effective , its about 600 INR for a set of 4 , it can be purchased from here
11. Chakla Belan
Thats the name of indian Rolling pin and its accompanying disk used for rolling chapatis , parathas and other indian breads and also pastry , it should be niether too heavy nor too light . Its available in wooden and marble makes
Its easily available in local markets but if one wants to buy online Mostly its under 1000 INR , one such item is available here
12. Sieve /Collander
For draining rice and noodles and washing vegetables and lentils and fruits also for making tea .It is usually available in plastic and steel material .
This vatiety is good for vegetables washing , rice draining and washing fruits
its available for about 1-200 INR here
The small metal variety will be ideal for tea straining
Its available here
13.Spoons for cooking
Cooking spoons is necessary for every kitchen , mostly steel spoons are used but one can opt for wooden ones or plastic ones which go well with non stick cooking utensils
Here is a set of spoons needed
This looks like it will be good enough for a small kitchen , it can be bought here here